Sunday, December 6, 2009

The first snowfall....and Santa Claus

LA and I were out and about yesterday, picking up 'stuff' from here and there.  I was the passenger in the car, so I had the pleasure of noticing just how splendidly the first snowfall of the season had blanketed the landscape.
It really was beautiful.  To use an overused metaphor, it was just like Currier and Ives.  Light fluffy snow adorning every twig, on every branch of every limb on every tree.  It covered the lawns, but left the roads clear and wet.
I remembered being 8 years old, born and raised on Davies Alley, we didn't have much, but we had the best sleigh riding hill for blocks.  There was a good excitement about the first snowfall.  We knew that it wouldn't be long and Santa Claus would once again traverse the globe giving presents to all of the good boys and girls.
I really don't remember this part, but I am told, that when Santa arrived in downtown Pittston, my sister was charged with the task of getting me to town to see Santa.  There were a lot of good boys and girls there, and the line for Santa was very long.  Mary Louise (my sister) and I persevered, after what seemed like hours for both of us, and for completely different reasons.  I sat on Santa's lap and told him what I wanted for Christmas.
Afterward, on the way home, I spoke to Mary Louise.  "Weesa, I've been thinking about Santa Claus....and", and my sister is thinking, "Oh my, here it comes.....", as I continued, "I think that 'HE' was the real Santa Claus."
And you know, I was right!  He was there.  Amidst all of the decorations and children and parents, Santa Claus was there.
Let's not one of us forget how we once looked forward to snow, and Santa Claus.  Don't forget how we rode our sleds down long neighborhood hills.  Remember when you sat on Santa's lap and knew that he might deliver that football, EZ Bake Oven or a Red Rider BB gun on Christmas morning.
There will be plenty of time left to curse the snow covered road and icy sidewalks.

6 comments:

  1. I remember Davies Alley and that hill. Marty you know that John and Amy moved to Seoul in August. Well John says it reminds him of Pittston because Seoul is very hilly and he can't understand what's going on (his Korean language skills are emerging). I don't remember sledding, but I know we did. John remembers it. It's amazing he's still alive since he didn't have glasses yet and was legally blind.

    I remember coming around the corner from Carroll Street to Church Street and getting blasted by a freezing wind. I remember running all around town when I was very small. I remember the fire horn and looking up where the fire was and running there to see.

    I remember there was one priest who could say the Latin mass in 20 minutes.

    One year I did get an EZ Bake oven in which I made something that resembled juju fruits, ate them all and then.... I'll leave it at that.

    Liz Singer
    Sometime resident of 109 Carroll Street, Pittston, PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the Davies' alley 'hill' too. And kids going down on cardboard boxes...and rubber tires...We had a Flexible Flyer at "109 Carroll" which was a pretty nifty deal. As the snow hit NJ yesterday, I was driving home from Paterson Cathedral from a Christmas Concert dress rehearsal. Yikes! It was a total whiteout. But,I have to admit, really pretty!!! Lots of lights this year on Bernardsville Road.
    Makes my daily commute more festive.
    Sr Mary Edward

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there BIG CAT,

    Davies Alley was good......but Hunter Hill was better. Whether on my brothers Flexible Flyer, a saucer, or a piece of cardboard from A.S.Powers or Harry Mertz, youknew you had a good ride when you flew by Jerry Boos' house.

    Mark Casper

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have way too much free time on your hands so i am assuming you retired and didn't tell anyone. well have LA give us a call and we can get you busy again. i got my tractor and you can be down plowing the fields and harvesting the hay for the horses.

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember taking a walk with sister diane, winnie, and kelly when I was younger..and she showed me the best sledding hills around pittston.

    Coming from the "flat lands" of NY, every road and alley in that wonderful little town seemed like sled heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Davies' alley was a great hill for the younger crowd. Mark it right. Hunter hill was first class, but we could get a great ride in the alley, especially after the neighbors spilled a tin of ashes along the side. It made a non-slip path for climbing the hill AND sharpened our sled blades for amazing speed. Jimmy Casalo an the Rettenmeyers spread ashes at the bottom to keep us off Mill Street.

    Thanks for the snow memory, Marty. Santa will be pleased that you haven't outgrown him.

    Sr. Diane

    ReplyDelete

comments?